(This email is being sent to both the SMC and MTB Junior League lists…many of you are on both lists so you may get it twice…)

I hope everyone has remained safe and healthy during these unusual times. It’s been great seeing so many people out on bikes recently!
I’m sure many of you have heard about the postponement or cancellation of most athletic events, including the Firecracker 50. If you haven’t seen that announcement, and would like to check it out, it is posted as a blog.

While we work on the Virtual F50 concept, we are staying in close contact with local agencies to determine the feasibility of hosting some, if not all, of the Summit Mt. Challenge Series and MTB Junior League programming.

Things are changing daily and we will know more on Monday, May 25. That’s the day when Summit County MIGHT move to Stabilization Stage 2. Stage 2 allows Gathering Size up to 50 people. If we go to Stage 2 there’s a chance we’ll have an SMC series this summer with amended formats.
Monday’s a big day for us folks! And if we don’t go to Stage 2 on Monday I bet it WILL happen sometime this summer.

There are two documents that have been open on my computer for weeks.
Summit County Roadmap to Recovery
Summit County Event Guidelines and Recommendations
This information, especially the Roadmap, are useful tools for…well…just about every person and place of business in Summit County. If you haven’t seen them, I recommend you check them out.

Here’s what I can tell you right now.
The Frisco Roundup will not happen on June 3. We have penciled in Saturday June 13 as a possible replacement date and we’d run it as an Individual Time Trial
All other dates in the series are as originally published until we get a bit further down the Roadmap to Recovery. With all the cancellations that have been announced, Saturdays have really opened up on the schedule. We are looking at possibly re-scheduling other SMC events to Saturdays. This will allow us to adhere to the Group Size maximum for whatever Stage we are in on the Roadmap. (I know this affects your weekends…let me know what you think.)

June 13 Frisco Roundup Time Trial-NEW DATE NOT CONFIRMED
June 17 Gold Run Rush
July 15 Penn Gulch Grind
July 29 Soda Creek Scramble
August 12 TBD
August 26 Peaks Trail Time Trial
September 13 The Fall Classic

Our ability to safely hold MTB Junior League group rides also hinges on where Summit County is on the Roadmap to Recovery. If we continue to be limited to 10 person group sizes it is unlikely that we will have led group rides. If we go to Phase 2 (50 people) then the chances are better. I’m going to hedge a bet that if we don’t go to Stage 2 on Monday it WILL happen sometime this summer.
Therefore, I will be opening MTB Junior League Registration later today on bikereg.com (search “Mountain Bike Junior League”).
The price is the same at $100 which includes a jersey, entry into the first 6 SMC races and all group rides. If the rides and races don’t happen (unlikely in my opinion) then a partial refund of $25 will be issued and, of course, you get to keep the jersey!

We have not opened registration for the series yet. There are too many unknowns and we want to wait for more information before we launch. Again, Monday is a big day.

Any events that we are allowed to host will need to adhere to strict PDP. We will distribute precise instructions if/when we get to that point. This applies to any business that has re-opened. We would like nothing more than to have a bike race and see you all!

That’s if for today…I’ll know more about our immediate future next week.
I wish you all a safe Memorial Day weekend.


Jeff Westcott
Maverick Sports